Feb 9, 2011

The 16th Avenue Tiled Steps Project

This piece really spoke to me for a number of reasons. What I love most about this mosaic is its location. Nestled in between two houses in the suburban inner sunset district, it is a very unlikely place for such a beautiful piece of art. Another aspect of the piece that I like is where it leads. This staircase leads you to the top of a hill known by me as Moraga Hill. Although I'm sure there is an official name for it.  Once you get to the top of the hill, you get an incredible 360 degree view of the city. But as far as the actual art goes, I believe it speaks for itself. Looking from afar, you can see how well each group of steps blend together. Taking a closer look, you can see how much attention is paid to detail. That detail is what makes this staircase one of the unknown treasures of San Francisco. Walking up the staircase allows you to touch the art. Get up close and personal, and really interact with it.


15 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous! would love to see it up close! Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Beautiful! Great neighborhood find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Beautiful! Would never know that was there if you hadn't told us! Will have to go check it out when I'm in the area. Thank you! Sheree Yablon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a well written blog. The photos are beautiful. Thank you Dylan for bringing this most beautiful urban art to my attention. It is indeed a masterpiece. I will seek out this treasure,admire each step and look forward to the view at the top,soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Dylan. Nice work. Next time we are up north we will make sure to visit this beautiful piece of art. Who knew some steps could be so beautiful ! Thanks for doing this!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog Dylan! Love the concept! Very Artsy and interesting! I love how your devoting this blog to the streets of SF and it's hidden gems!
    I can't wait to read more. Thank you!
    Raisa Ress

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool. Thanks Dylan for finding it. Can't wait to get up to SF and check it out in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Groovy! good find! can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing, dylan. who is the artist(s)? i am sure there is so much hidden art in san francisco. cant wait to see more.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful job very talented keep up the good work
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. This is amazing. I really enjoy the photos you've posted. Also, a very insightful critique that really brings meaning to the piece. The attention to detail is fantastic. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Really interesting concept to go out and document/critique artwork that is part of the cityscape.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The attention to detail on these tiled steps are incredible! I can't imagine how much time it must have taken to create this. Thank you for highlighting what must have so much work for someone.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think.