Feb 9, 2011

Zen Garden





     This mural is a beautiful new addition to the sunset district, and it brightens the lives of countless people riding the 71 outbound. It is conveniently located at the bus stop, so people waiting for the bus can admire the piece thoroughly. The title of the piece is Zen Garden, and it was painted by Vera Gordeev Lowdermilk in 2010. She is part of a group of urban artists that make up the StreetSmARTS program. This group was formed by The San Francisco Arts Commission and the Department of Public Works to connect established artists with private property owners. This property happens to be a medical building with a Bank of America ATM on the corner.

     What I love about this piece is the brightness. It is being hit by direct sunlight for a large portion of the day, which really highlights the brightness of the tree in the foreground. Lowdermilk also does a good job of blending different shades of the same color. I like this piece in particular, because it is only two blocks from my house and I see it almost everyday. The artist took what was once a blank wall, and has turned it into a window of imagination. It could be her "happy place". A place where it almost feels as if life is standing still. Or it could be a place she once visited, and longs to return to. There are endless possibilities.

5 comments:

  1. "a window of imagination"
    i like it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly it's incredibly boring. It's too slow for the energy of that environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Serene, I like it...w

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible painting. I'm impressed by the research you've done. Very detailed background story about this piece of artwork. Now that I've read some posts on this blog and seen some of these amazing photos, I really want to start to really open my eyes and check out the amazing works of art that surround us in this truly colorful city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to agree with Chris, I'm happily surprised by the research that you did. I think that it is a beautiful mural. Normally I'm in a rush and just walk by quickly without noticing the details on murals such as this one, so it's great that you are posting these. I look forward to reading (and seeing) more blog posts.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think.